Cupola project Logo
The Cupola Project


HOME | EVENTS | CONTACT US | FIND US |
St Peter & St Paul
Home
Introduction
The Vision
The Aims
The Problem
The Reality
The Solution
The Friends
The Heritage Trail
BFPC Website
Useful Links



RESTORATION & REORDERING OF ST PETER & ST PAUL'S CHURCH
BLANDFORD FORUM

THE HERITAGE TRAIL
The Discovery of a Vault in 1970


Heritage Trail 1895 Extension Vault 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8


On Tuesday 20th October 1970, whilst preparing the ground for a new floor, workmen uncovered the entrance to a vault. The entrance is at the foot of the easternmost column on the south side of the nave and the vault itself is built out eastwards for ten feet, the width is nine feet and the height of the arched roof is six feet.

Contained within the vault were four large lead coffins and the remains of at least two wooden coffins.

From north to south, as found, there were coffins and remains of:

  • Rogersa, wife of Sir Henry Belasayse. (The copper place attached is now fixed to the pier immediately over the entrance to the vault).

  • Small coffin with the following inscription "Heare lyes John Belasys, sonne of the sayde Ladye Belasyes and Henry her Husband who dyed Sep ye 16 16661. Die nativit"

  • Richard Roger, Esq who departed this life the 14th June 1643 (This being the father of Rogersa).

  • A very large coffin with no inscription.

  • This was evidently the family vault of the Rogers of Brianston. The Belasyse peerage appears to have become extinct in 1692.

  • Below are photos taken at the time of the discovery, including the Rector at the time, Rev Canon Goodall.

Heritage Trail 1895 Extension Vault 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8